And I am behind on my posts again... so this one dates back to mid December when Colin and I took a very quick trip to Florence when we noticed that RyanAir flights to Bologna were at 10 euros each way. Amazing!
Although I've returned to Florence once after studying abroad there in college, I've ALWAYS wanted to return there with Colin so he could enjoy the city I love so much. It was really fun for me to show him around to my old apartment, favorite restaurants, views, gelato, etc. He was a really good sport listening to me recount old college memories.
Our first stop was the Academia to gawk at Michelangelo's David. Then on to the San Lorenzo market and the Mercato Centrale for some quick shopping, before an early "lunch number one". When I studied in Florence, I took a vegetarian cooking class during which our teacher took us into the central market to test cheeses, olive oils and other foods, and showed us a place to buy her favorite Ribollita Soup. Just a hole in the wall stop in the central market, I crave soup from this deli like its no one's business sometimes. Its just a bread mashed veggie soup with some olive oil. Colin and I enjoyed some together with some glasses of house chianti before continuing our Florence tour.
 |
| Colin was under the pretext that this marketing would lead to food. He is getting a little tired of my love for market shopping, but always is a good sport about it. |
 |
| Adding to the International Bracelet Collection |
 |
| Admiring the displays in the Mercato Centrale... look at all that garlic! |
 |
| We had to wait for the Ribollita Soup to be ready, so we did some cheese tasting at one of the little shops |
 |
| The shop was tiny with wall to wall and floor to ceiling racks of wine and olive oils |
 |
| Colin ordering our soup like a pro... its a bit like the Soup Nazi in the Seinfeld episode, you really have to be assertive and know what you want for the servers to notice you! |
 |
| Yummmmm |
Next up, we saw the Duomo and Baptisery, and checked out Piazza della Repubblica. Florence was decorated beautifully with different Christmas light variations on each street, and many of the streets meet at Piazza della Repubblica, making it especially beautiful at this time of year. Our next destination was "lunch number 2", a sandwich from Antico Noe. Colin was really starting to like Florence.
 |
| Ghiberti's bronze doors |
 |
| Its always so hard to get a perfect pic in front of the Duomo - it is just so big! |
 |
| Lunch Number Two - paninis at Antico Noe |
 |
| Happy traveler |
Next up we went over to Santa Croce to see the tombs of Galileo and Michelangelo, as well as the small bit of St. Francis' tunic. We were pleased to get to enjoy Florence's own Christmas market - not too unlike the ones we go to in Germany. Then we saw Piazza della Signoria (my favorite) and toured the Uffizi.
 |
| Christmas Market outside Santa Croce |
 |
| Standing in front of the Palazzo Vecchio in Piazza della Signoria |
 |
| Piazza della Signoria |
 |
| Glimpse of the Ponte Vecchio from the Uffizi |
Then, we crossed the Ponte Vecchio to see the outside of Pitti Palace. And since we were in the neighborhood, I couldn't resist taking Colin to my old stomping grounds. As we walked down the street I used to live on, I showed him the pay phone from which I used to call him very late at night (no skype back then!) and the little shops from which my roommates and I used to buy our various groceries. He got some fresh focaccia bread from my old neighborhood bakery, and then we had to get some gelato from my favorite gelato place. A total dream come true! The gelato, for the record, is still the best, and still only 1euro per scoop.
 |
| We enjoyed our gelato with this view of the Ponte Vecchio |
Then we bought some Chianti and went up to Piazza Michelangelo to catch the view of Florence at sunset. We enjoyed our leftover sandwiches and wine while sitting on the steps and taking in the beautiful view. As I've sat on those same steps with some of my best college friends, as well as my parents and sister when we visited my sister during her study abroad in Florence, it felt like I'd come full circle to be able to share it with Colin.
After the sun went down we had to go get ready for our final foodie destination - a late dinner reservation at La Giostra. I think this sealed the deal for Colin. From the complimentary appetizer plate with a glass of Prosecco, to the pear pecorino ravioli and steak with a balsamic reduction, ending with some limoncello, we were beyond stuffed when we finished dinner at midnight.
Maybe it was the limoncello after the wine, but we were suddenly inspired to hit up some of the bars I used to go to in college. That proved to be extremely entertaining for us - watching the crazy college students partying was great fun... even though were were the oldest people in the bar!
Our next day, after feeling like we'd conquered Florence in just 24 hours, we took it easy. We went to
Mass in the Duomo, checked out the Baptisery, shopped the organic market by Santo Spirito, and ate lunch at a delicious restaurant on the Santo Spirito square. We soaked up more views of the Ponte Vecchio with some more gelato, and basically just treasured the sunny-not-to-cold weather before heading back to Germany.
 |
| Ceiling of the Baptisery |
 |
| Market in Santo Spirito Square |
 |
| We marveled at these ENORMOUS rounds of cheese |
 |
| More gelato, more Ponte Vecchio |
One of our quickest trips, it is one that will always stand out in my memory as being one of the best little vacations for Colin and me. Even when we thought the adventure was over, we had to ride this petite train to the check in gate at the Bologna airport. Oh Italy!
Ciao for now, Firenze!
My mouth is watering......
ReplyDeleteThis post made me hungry for good soup, bread, cheese and wine and I don't think I'll find this stuff by going up to Raley's or Five Points, besides it doesn't have the view. Glad you two continue to have fun in your travels!! Thanks again for sharing your adventures with us!!!!!
This also made me hungry. oh my goodness. that soup from the market sounds unreal. some great pictures on this round, really good lighting! Anyways, jealous as usual, but glad to live vicariously :)
ReplyDeleteMan... I second or third the soup envy. Such great photos, too! Tisa and I are living vicariously (shoot, did brian say that too!) through you guys, can't wait to see you in a month or so!
ReplyDeleteI am sure that Kevin and Brian also forgot to mention that they appreciated the number of lunches on this trip! I think the Duomo picture is one of the best I have seen. You all look like you are having such a wonderful time.
ReplyDeleteAwwww...this post just took me on a walk down memory lane! Can't wait to get back there!
ReplyDelete